Job ID 1116925
Career Level Manager
Senior Quantity Surveyor
The Tideway Project
River Thames is at the heart of London, but in recent years it has been largely overlooked.
Tideway wants to change that. We are recruiting talented people to help us deliver our ambition of re-invigorating a much under-used social, environmental and economic asset.
Ferrovial Construction and Laing O’Rourke’s Joint Venture -FLO, is delivering the central section of a new 25-kilometre tunnel. Wide enough to fit three double decker buses side-by-side, the tunnel aims to protect the tidal River Thames from the tens of millions of tonnes of sewage pollution that is currently discharged into it each year. Through intercepting overflow points built into the capital’s overstretched, Victorian sewerage network, Tideway will take all overflow directly to the sewage treatment works in Beckton, east London.
The Tunnel is among the largest construction projects of its type. Main construction work began in 2016 and is due for completion by 2024. One of our tunnel boring machines has completed its journey going west, while the other is making significant progress going east.
Not only is this an engineering project, but a vital means of creating a London that can meet the needs of generations to come. At Tideway we are committed to leaving a legacy.
The Senior QS will be responsible for the management of subcontract packages in order to achieve required project delivery to the customers’ objectives, while maintaining standards of health and safety, quality, environmental impact and cost control.
They will deliver multiple on-going projects to the specified quality and maximum commercial performance in accordance with the required programme.
The post-holder will work closely with the Commercial Manager, engineers and surveyors to ensure that projects are completed in a safe manner whilst customer requirements and expectations are always maintained or exceeded.
* Advise managers on how to achieve best monetary value for proposals and procurement options
* To manage both subcontracted and self-delivery packages (this includes forecasting day work labour and plant)
* Responsible for the commercial relationships with subcontractors and to balance the delivery of quality services with achieving the best value for the business
* To focus on cost control and budgeting procedures in line with the business financial systems
* Good communication skills to ensure effective integration with all aspects of projects and collaboration with project management teams.
* To liaise with the procurement and accounts teams as required to ensure compliance with financial parameters
* Change and lead Contract Management with subcontractors and with the Client
* To coach and advise Assistant Quantity Surveyors in order to develop their skill set
* To promote company values in all dealing with other employees, clients, subcontractors and other external contacts.
* To monitor and assess staff capability and performance
Experience and Qualifications
* Degree in Quantity Surveying
* Quantity Surveying experience in managing both subcontracted and self-delivery packages in civil engineering and/or utilities
* Working knowledge of NEC forms of contract
* Experience of managing a supply chain and subcontractors
* Experience of working in a cost-conscious environment
* Excellent communication skills and ability to interact
* Knowledge of Health and Safety Legislation
Please note that this job description does not represent a comprehensive list of activities and employees may be requested to undertake other reasonable duties.
About Ferrovial Construction
Ferrovial Construction is the engineering and construction arm of the Ferrovial Group. It is the largest private transport infrastructure operator in the world in terms of capital invested with a workforce of approximately 96,000 employees, and a presence across 15 countries with over 60 years’ experience. We are a Spanish multinational company operating in 4 divisions; Airports, Highways, Construction and Building subsidiaries. Ferrovial are committed to developing sustainable and innovative solutions, with the aim to create value for society, and for clients, investors and employees. Ferrovial Construction Ltd UK has 7 major Infrastructure projects across the UK; HS2, Silvertown (STT), Heathrow (Q6), Norwich Western Link, Thames Tideway (TTT), Northern Line Extension (NLE) and Farringdon.
At Ferrovial we have five core values: Excellence, Innovation, Collaboration, integrity and Respect. We are proud of our work and values which we live by to achieve our goals.
As one of the industry’s most diverse organisations, our people bring a strong blend of local talent, international expertise and perspectives from all backgrounds. This drives innovation and fresh thinking required to set new standards of excellence.
Ferrovial embraces diversity and inclusion and we see the value in providing equal opportunities to all employees. We are committed to building an inclusive team from a variety of different backgrounds, perspectives and skills so we encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply