Career Level Manager
Job Title Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Engineer
Purpose of Job
A hands-on Refrigeration & Air Conditioning engineer is required to ensure all environmental
conditions are maintained at all times with regard to critical building systems. To carry out Planned
Preventative Maintenance (PPM), reactive and breakdown works to all R&AC units within the site.
Engineer must be able to demonstrate relevant knowledge of Chillers, CRAC units, Split A/C units,
VRV’s and VRF’s, FCU’s and AHU’s or equivalent which will include the ability to fault find using the
production of graphical information and the utilisation of current alarm data.
The R&AC role is critical to contract support and assurance of plant availability at all times, along
with statutory compliance.
1. Responsible for the maintenance and repairs of R&AC units around the various sites,
within set time frames so that customer expectations are met.
2. Reactive call outs as and when required.
3. To actively undertaken proactive maintenance work identified across the account and
division as required.
4. Effective H&S compliance and to report of any breaches to H&S compliance.
5. Ensure that routine PPM is carried out to all R&AC plant in accordance with Site task
schedules and asset lists.
6. Ensure that reactive tasks throughout the portfolio are completed and be proactive in
highlighting areas where improvements can be made.
7. Complete all logbooks and F-Gas registers as required in order to ensure fully
compliance with law and approved code of practice.
8. Ensure that suitable spares are available to carry out both maintenance and reactive
works. To provide parts lists and estimated timescales to carry out remedial works.
9. Overtime working as required
10. Ensure that all relevant paperwork and F-Gas register is completed regarding PPM,
reactive and breakdown works and that it is passed without delay to the contract
Owner: Human Resources Department Issue Date: 09/11/2017 Version: HR-343-01
Title: Job Description – R&AC Revision Date: On-Going Reviewer: Technical Director
11. Ensure that dynamic risk assessments are prepared, and
used for all tasks undertaken to ensure safe working practices at all times.
12. To develop a good working relationship with all members of BGIS staff, subcontractors
and the client representatives.
13. Ensure the provision of a Safe and Healthy working environment. To include the
wearing of uniform and PPE at all times.
14. Ensure the professional image of BGIS is presented to clients at all times
15. To undertake lone working when and where required, subject to passing satisfactory
16. Ensure assigned tasks are actioned and completed as appropriate.
17. To ensure tasks as directed are completed with the appropriate H&S
18. Ensure an awareness and compliance to the contractual KPI’s/SLA’s.
19. Required to fulfil out of hours call-out rota obligations.
20. Any other task as directed by the division management team.
21. Ensure the engineering team on site produce required near miss reports, dynamic risk
assessments and detailed records of site activities, and ensuring any non compliance is
challenged and escalated where necessary.
22. Ensure company issued tools are PAT compliant, certificated and logged with the office.
23. Ensure specialist meters are certificated and up to date with legislation and compliance
/ technical & industry requirements.
24. Skill in estimating time and materials and construction of quotations in support of the
Client Supervisor by providing details of parts and works required.
25. Read and Understand risk assessments and method statements before the works are
due to be started and understand the full scope of the SSOW.
1. Reporting to the Operations Manager, accountable to the Division Management Team.
2. The post holder does not have any directly reporting staff.
3. This post carries no direct budgetary responsibility.
Person Specification Education
NVQ/C&G level 2 (preferably level 3) in refrigeration and air
Fully qualified as F-Gas engineer (C&G 2079 Cat1)
A good basic education is essential, with good written and spoken
English and basic Mathematics skills.
Fully trained and qualified F-Gas engineer (2079, CAT I)
Formally trained in an Electrical / Mechanical/ Air conditioning,
Experience of fault finding, maintaining and repairing all different
types of A/C’s (Chillers, CRAC units, DX units, Split A/C units, FCU’s
or equivalent). Mechanical and electrical equipment to clearly
Experience of working in the corporate sector and critical
environments /data centres.
(Desirable): BMS skills.
Good verbal communication skills, good written English skills.
Committed to the delivery of excellent customer service.
Calm manner, able to work under pressure.
Able to make sound decisions when needed.
Physically fit and able to carry tools and components by hand up to
Able to ascend and descend vertical access equipment.
Able to work at heights.
A team player, able to work with BGIS and clients representatives at
Must be willing to provide holiday and sickness cover at short notice and be flexible in their working patterns.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned