Career Level Manager
Learning Support Assistant (PMLD)
* Barnet SEN school
* Full time
* 8:30am – 4:30pm / 3:30pm finish on Fridays.
* Ongoing contract
We are currently working with an excellent SEND school in Barnet, close to Golders Green Station, who are looking for an experienced PMLD Teaching Assistant to join their school as soon as possible. The position will be based within a small class supporting KS3 and KS4 children with severe learning disabilities.
You will be working with children aged between 13-18, each with statements of Special Education Needs. Most of the children you will be working with have very limited communication skills, and some are completely non-verbal. You will be assisting more than one class, supporting several children across the school, rather than working 1:1 with any particular child. To be eligible to apply for this position, you must have experience supporting pupils with PMLD (Profound Multiple Learning Difficulties) and with their personal care needs.
What is PMLD?
PMLD stands for Profound Multiple Learning Difficulties People with PMLD are amongst the most disabled individuals in the community. Their intelligence quota is of the lower ability and therefore have severely limited understanding. In addition, they have multiple disabilities, which include impairments of vision, hearing and movement as well as other problems such as other problems like epilepsy or autism. Most people in this group are unable to walk unaided and many have complex health needs and require extensive support.
Teaching Assistant support
As a Teaching Assistant, it is imperative that you understand that students with PMLD have the same rights as every other citizen. You will over the course of the academic year help them to engage with their world and achieve their potential. We are looking for a Teaching Assistant to support students with communication, basic health needs, personal care support (Feeding and Changing), posture and mobility.
Basic Health Needs:
– Supporting them with needs such as Epilepsy, Gastrointestinal reflux.
– Recognising when a student is in pain and managing this effectively
– Gain information from parents and school
– Use key information located in health action plan
– Use objects or photographs can help them to understand what’s happening.
– Allow more time to process what is being said and reduce distractions.
– Understanding facial expressions and body language through non-verbal communication
– Help PMLD students to tell their story using interactive approaches.
– Using different sensory experiences to together to promote shared communication
Eating and Drinking:
– Give choices wherever possible
– Using the right utensils
– Checking the textures
– Adjusting your rhythm and pacing to suit the student.
You will need to be available to start immediately, as well as being able to commit to working full school hours, 5 days per week. You must have a good command of numeracy and literacy, as this is especially important when supporting pupils with limited communication skills.
The school are looking for a learning support assistant with the following experience:
* PMLD: 1 year
* Teaching Assistant: 1 year
* SEND: 1 year
* PECS (any experience desirable)
* Makaton (any experience desirable)
If you have experience working with children or young adults with special education needs, and are interested in making a positive contribution to the lives of young people, please apply with an up to date CV