Career Level Manager
SCC is a leading IT services provider across the UK and EMEA; spanning 45 years of heritage and helping thousands of commercial and public sector clients adopt and evolve their use of IT over this time. Today the business generates £2.3B revenue with over 1800 employees in the UK.
With the advent of public cloud services SCC were quick to realise the importance and disruptive impact this technology would bring; it was clear that our customers and many organisations across multiple sectors need the power of Public Cloud to realise their full potential. Many businesses either lack the capacity or capability to successfully architect, deploy, manage and secure their applications on cloud infrastructure or native cloud services, or would prefer to focus on their core business rather than invest in training and maintaining the internal talent required to benefit from automation and cloud tooling.
To tackle these challenges SCC launched its “born in the cloud” brand SCC Hyperscale to demonstrate its commitment to this area of the market
At Hyperscale, every day is a fresh challenge. We live and breathe cloud technology, nurturing the industry’s leading talent so we can offer the highest level of specialist expertise. Our culture is what binds us; everyone can contribute; everyone’s voice matters. At Hyperscale, enjoying what we do is a serious business.
Overall Job Purpose:
The Cloud Architect will be responsible for architecting solutions across Azure, Amazon Web Services and SCC’s Hybrid and Private Clouds, working with customers to help them on the journey to Public Cloud. A key part of the role will be understanding requirements and translating them into a Public Cloud Managed Service.
Must have solid technical experience of cloud products and services and be able to produce low-level designs and technical roadmaps. The ability to face off with third party technical staff is key as is solid documentation experience.
The position will be part of a team of Architect’s within SCC’s Data Centre Services Cloud Services team, responsible for owning and driving the overall technical architectural strategy for all Data Centre Services customers, ensuring customer satisfaction at every opportunity.
Main Duties of Job:
• Drive deployment of customer workloads into consuming the appropriate cloud platform, be it Azure, AWS or SCC’s own cloud platforms.
• Provide deep technical expertise and guidance for customer migrations to the cloud
• Produce Low-Level designs across Azure, AWS, and our own Private Cloud platforms ensuring designs are accurate and regularly updated and reviewed in accordance with the target design
• Demonstrable cloud architectural knowledge, playing a vital role in the design of cloud infrastructures running in 24×7 environments
• Provide leadership in infrastructure migration methodologies and techniques including mass migrations into Azure or AWS within large regulated enterprise environments
• Provide cloud computing expertise internally and externally to drive cloud adoption
• Provide technical input to Pre-Sales opportunities (RFI/RFP), Statement of Works and High-Level Designs where required
• Support engagement with customers to ensure target design of technical solutions are in line with the requirements of the customer
• Ensure designs are end to end, fit for purpose and in line with established standards and frameworks
• Design cloud solutions with a focus on delivery of multiple technology flavours, multiple customers, and multi-datacentre/site architectures.
• To adhere to all company policies and processes as communicated by line management in accordance with corporate ISO accreditation levels
• Assist in the creation of design standards, policies, and processes to improve working efficiencies by use of Reference Architecture standards and templates
• Serve on project, technology, product, and transition review boards to ensure all documentation and designs are in line with current internal standards, roadmaps, and frameworks
• To perform any other duties from time to time that may be required by your line Manager
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, positive, organised and driven with a track record of delivering to tight timescales and having an appreciation of support and service transition. Experience of working in a fast paced, dynamic environment with a can-do attitude and ability to handle work with multiple customers and projects.
• Must have demonstrable Azure or AWS based cloud architecture and migration skills and experience covering Azure Virtual Machines, EC2, Containers (ECS/Instances), Azure Storage, Block/Object/File Storage (EBS/S3/EFS), Azure Backup, ASR, Azure networking and automation, AWS VPC, Load balancing, AWS RDS, DynamoDB, Azure SQL DB, Azure AD, IAM, MFA, CloudFormation, ARM, CloudWatch and Azure Portal
• Strong understanding across cloud and infrastructure components to deliver end to end cloud solutions (IAAS/PAAS)
• 3+ years' experience as a Technical Infrastructure Architect, with focus on Azure, AWS, cloud compute, storage, and networking
• Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
• Understands and can articulate the technical merits and value of cloud computing
• Experience of working at all stakeholder levels and be adaptable to changing and developing environments
• Strong background with Hyper-V and VMware virtualisation technologies in large-scale deployments
• Ability to disseminate the right level of technical or solution information intended for the correct audience.
• Excellent documentation skills across technical, process and customer facing documentation.
• Patience and the ability to remain calm under pressure and working to tight deadlines.
• Experience of cloud services including automation, orchestration & development (Ansible, Python, SQS, SES, Git repository, Visual Studio, Chef, Puppet).
• Exposure to project management and service management industry best practises (PRINCE2, ITIL v3).
• Exposure and experience of technical architecture frameworks including TOGAF
• Experience of developing reference architectures, standards, and frameworks
At SCC, we take the privacy and security of your information very seriously, any information we hold will be in accordance with current data protection legislation.